The Best Ab Tightening Exercises
Dreaming to have a tight and leaner abs? It may seem impossible but with the enough doses of determination and hard work you can surely get the results you want. To get tight abs, you have to observe a proper diet as well as engage into regular ab tightening exercises.
To spare you from the long time needed in researching, we’ve prepared a list of the top 5 most effective ab tightening exercises you need to start doing in order to get good results in a shorter period.
Click on the item below to skip on the specific ab tightening exercise you want to perform, or continue to read the whole content.
- 1 The Best Ab Tightening Exercises
- 1.0.1 1. Warm up your body with Squat and Twist Exercise
- 1.0.2 2. Develop Stronger Abdomen by doing Abdominal Hold
- 1.0.3 3. Burn Fats by Doing the Single-Leg Stretch
- 1.0.4 4. Tone up your Muscles and Abs Using the Towel Climb Up Exercise
- 1.0.5 5. Build up your Oblique by doing the Ballerina Twist – Top Ab Tightening Exercises
1. Warm up your body with Squat and Twist Exercise
This workout should be part of your everyday ab tightening exercises routine. No specific locations and no equipment required. This is extremely useful in toning and tightening your abs and it also helps to build your muscles. How to do it:
- Stand straight and make sure that your feet is shoulder length apart and put your arms forward to make a diamond-like shape at your shoulder level.
- Then assume a squatting position and bend down so that your upper and lower leg will form a 90 degree angle.
- Next, make a twisting action to your upper body towards your left then return to your original position and repeat the exercise but this time twist to your right.
- Let your heels carry your weight and do not allow your knees to extend forward away from your toes.
- While you are doing side to side movement of your upper body, make sure that your knees are pointing forward.
- Your aim is to keep your knees close to a 90 degree angle if you want to get the best results.
2. Develop Stronger Abdomen by doing Abdominal Hold
Another effective ab tightening exercise which is popular among workout enthusiasts is “abdominal hold”. It will not only help tighten your abs but will also make it stronger for better stability of your muscles and muscle activation especially those that surround your core. How to do it:
- Sit straight near the edge of a durable chair and place your hands at your sides with your palms touching the chair (below your pelvic area).
- Use your hands to carry your body and elevate your butt and feet (about 2 to 4 inches) from the chair and floor respectively.
- Keep your body elevated for 5 to 10 seconds then lower yourself back and repeat the same steps for 1 minute.
There’s a host of ab tightening exercises which are available in many sources both online and offline (in bookstores) but most people find this exercise a lot useful for tightening their abs. Not only that, it also enhances upper back flexibility and strengthens your hamstring. How to do it:
- Lie flat on the floor facing up at the center of your mat and bend your knees. Then lift your head and your shoulders off the floor and bend your neck so that your chin touches your chest.
- Breathe in as you pull your left knee towards your chest, placing your right hand on your knee and left hand on your ankle. Lift your right leg in a 45 degree angle off the floor.
- Breathe out as you extend your left leg in a 45 degree angle off the floor while pulling your right leg towards your chest.
- Make sure to change the position of your hands each time you switch your legs, grasping your left hand on your knee and right hand on your ankle.
- Repeat the steps between 7 to 10 times for each side.
4. Tone up your Muscles and Abs Using the Towel Climb Up Exercise
This ab tightening exercise may sound difficult but let’s accept it, there is no such thing as an easy way in attaining flatter abs. If you want a workout that helps tone three major muscle groups including your hamstring, arms and the midsection of your body then this will work best for you. How to do it:
- Lie on the floor with knees bent and wrap your 3 foot long towel around the ball of your right foot.
- Hold your towel with your both hands and slowly extend your right leg, keeping your foot flexed.
- Slowly work your way upwards the towel using your hands as you elevate your head and shoulders off the floor.
- Hold your position in 2 to 3 seconds and slowly move back to the starting position while your hands back down the towel.
- Repeat the steps between 7 to 10 times for each side. Remember to keep your head steady by not tucking your chin or tilting back.
5. Build up your Oblique by doing the Ballerina Twist – Top Ab Tightening Exercises
Last but not the least of our top ab tightening exercises list is the ballerina twist. This works by strengthening your oblique muscle and will give your waist a more defined look. How to do it:
- Sit on a mat with legs extended and firmly together, toes pointed and abs engaged.
- Lean back 45 degrees from your hips while placing your left forearm on the mat, palms flat and fingers facing side ward.
- Lift right arm overhead and slowly twist your torso towards your left. Hold your position in the count of 3.
- Tighten your abs to support your spine as you return to the center.
- Switch sides and repeat. Do 8 to 10 alternating reps in 2 sets.
At the end of the day, you need to put in mind that none of the ab tightening exercises we’ve listed will ever show good results without proper discipline and determination on your part. Doing them daily sure is hard at first but as you progress from the first day onward without failing, you’ll find that your body will adapt to it in the long run.
And you would even feel uncomfortable if you won’t be able to do even just a single exercise that you’ve started with from the very first day. Do you know of an effective ab tightening exercises that worked best for you? Please feel free to share it with your fellow readers by using the comments section below.